Saturday, October 12, 2013

The BEST oven roasted squash EVER

I don't know how many of you ever oven roast squash, but I LOVE roasted acorn squash and butternut squash.  I usually roast my acorn squash with butter and brown sugar and butternut squash with salt and pepper or Montreal steak seasoning.  However, I wanted to try something different to go with our Oven Roasted Mayo Chicken (see previous post for recipe) and decided to try something that I had seen Rachael Ray do awhile back on her tv show.  It was a HUGE hit with my family, especially my 3 year old who has decided she doesn't like squash (she GOBBLED this up like she hadn't eaten in days!!).  This is a keeper and you can bet I'll be making it again soon!!  Oh, it also is a teaser for Thanksgiving dinner, and I think I'll be serving it this year for Thanksgiving!!

Roasted Butternut Squash with Apples and Onions

1 butternut squash (could use any kind of squash!), peeled, seeds removed and cubed
1-2 small apples (I used Jonagolds), large diced
1 small onion, rough diced
Salt
Pepper
Sage (I used dried, but will definitely try fresh next time!)
Olive Oil or Grapeseed Oil

Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.  Place squash in a roasting pan (I used my Pampered Chef Large Bar Pan), drizzle with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Place in oven and bake until semi-tender, stirring every 10-15 minutes.  Turn oven down to 400 and add apple, onion and sage and continue to cook until squash and apples are fork tender (don't over cook as the squash and apples will get mushy!).  Make sure to stir every so often so it doesn't stick to the pan and burn.

Enjoy!!



No comments:

Post a Comment