Sunday, August 4, 2013

Blackberry Gin Soda

So- this morning we got the chance to head about 35 miles from home to pick wild blackberries- I was in HEAVEN!!  It was SO much fun!!  Hubby and little A enjoyed it too... was so fun to take a 3 year old berry picking (incidentally- every time I hear or think of "berry picking" I think of the way Marta says it in The Sound Of Music when they are talking to their father about where they were all day....).  We found about a gallon and a half or so, and are planning to make another trip up next weekend.  I made 3 pints of freezer jam and froze several cups as well, but wanted to keep some for eating fresh.  Or, as in this case, for making "adult beverages"...  Here is the recipe I came up with using fresh blackberries, and fresh mint and basil from my garden!  I'm sure it would be just as refreshing without the gin, however, I like a little "kick" to my drinks! ;) :)  There are a couple things I would change, for instance, I would add a hint of lime juice (maybe the juice of 1/2 a small lime) and maybe more basil and mint.

Enjoy! :)

Blackberry Gin Soda
(makes 1 serving)
Several fresh blackberries- the sweeter the better, use as many as you'd like, I think I used 8-10
2-3 sprigs fresh mint
3-4 leaves fresh basil
1/2-1 oz simple syrup
2 oz gin
club soda
ice

Muddle berries, simple syrup, mint and basil (also lime juice if you choose to use it) in a low ball glass.  Add gin, a couple ice cubes and top off with club soda.  Garnish with mint and/or basil sprigs if you desire!



No comments:

Post a Comment